[picapp align=”none” wrap=”false” link=”term=border+fence&iid=8691779″ src=”e/0/f/a/Porous_USMexico_Border_0603.jpg?adImageId=12920920&imageId=8691779″ width=”380″ height=”248″ /]
A sampling of news stories and opinion related to illegal immigrants and illegal immigration:
- The Senate blocked an attempt to send 6,000 National Guard troops to the U.S./Mexico border as was requested by both Arizona Senators John Kyl and John McCain. Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) lobbied instead to follow the President’s plan of sending only 1,200 troops, calling it “smart and focused.” President Obama’s plan also calls for legalizing illegal immigrants. Also failing to pass: an amendment requiring jail time and another amendment to increase funding to all law enforcement along the border.
- Here’s a bit of refreshing news, proving that the majority of America seem to have some sanity. A CNN poll over the weekend showed that 82% of those polled OPPOSED boycotts of Arizona over its new SB 1070 anti-illegal immigration law.
- Well, I think we’ve found the one voice of reason in Los Angeles. County Supervisor Mike Antonovich criticized the idea of his fellow county supervisors wanting to adopt a boycott of Arizona calling it “stupid” and “irresponsible.” Ding, ding, ding…..”we have a winnah!”
- From Hot Air: Obama refuses to criticize boycotts of Arizona . Well of course he did, he’s a community organizer, that’s what they do: boycott!
- A group of protestors supporting passage of the DREAM Act, which would give citizenship to illegal immigrant high school graduates which have been in the country for at least five continuous years, “took over the lobby” of the West L.A. office of Senator Dianne Feinstein.
- The city council of Tacoma, Washington passed a resolution against Arizona’s new anti-illegal immigration law SB 1070 by a 5-3 vote.