[picapp align=”none” wrap=”false” link=”term=border+fence&iid=8691779″ src=”e/0/f/a/Porous_USMexico_Border_0603.jpg?adImageId=13113026&imageId=8691779″ width=”380″ height=”248″ /]
A sampling of news and opinion related to illegal immigrants and illegal immigration:
- Sheriff Joe Arpaio arrested 40 suspected illegals in a 36 hour time period. 31 were turned over to Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) while the other 9 were booked on human smuggling charges.
- The Border Patrol union is defending its use of “deadly force” and accusing the Mexican government over grandstanding regarding the recent shooting of a 15 year old Mexican boy.
- A twice-deported ex-con has been arrested in the Phoenix area. The Mexican man was wanted for homicide in California and had fled from the U.S. back to Mexico where he was found guilty of murder in a foreign country and sentenced to 6 years in a Mexican prison.
- The bodies of 3 illegal immigrants were found in the desert over the weekend.
- Phoenix local news is reporting that there is a “fear” the housing market and foreclosures will worsen because of the new anti-illegal immigration law, SB-1070. The theory is that there are numerous home owners in the valley who are here illegally and are chosing to leave the state before the new law goes into effect.
- With lots of legal challenges coming Arizona’s way over its new anti-illegal immigration law, Governor Brewer has asked Attorney General for the state, Terry Goddard, to step aside and not represent Arizona in its defense. Governor Brewer would like to hire different representation for the state. As her reason for asking the Attorney General to step aside, the governor has pointed out that Mr. Goddard, who is likely the Democrat party nominee for Governor this November, has publicly criticized the new law and the governor thinks his statements should disqualify him.
- It looks like the next possible point of contention in the immigration debate will be “anchor babies” and the granting of birthright citizenship. Hold on to your hats!