[picapp align=”none” wrap=”false” link=”term=border+fence&iid=8691779″ src=”e/0/f/a/Porous_USMexico_Border_0603.jpg?adImageId=13113026&imageId=8691779″ width=”380″ height=”248″ /]
A sampling of news stories and commentary related to illegal immigrants and illegal immigration:
- Well today is the day that the Obama administration admitted it doesn’t want to enforce immigration law (or so says Judicial Watch) by filing suit against Arizona’s new anti-illegal immigration law, SB-1070. The lawsuit claims Arizona’s new law is unconstitutional and usurps federal authority. I have to say it’s going to be a tough argument since the federal government itself has enacted online training for law enforcement officers in basic immigration law enforcement to enforce the federal immigration laws themselves. If they are arguing the state is usurping the feds, then why are they providing training to do exactly that? And, should states then not support other federal crimes? The government is asking for an injunction to prohibit the law from going into effect as scheduled on July 29, 2010. Click here for the local story. You can read the lawsuit for yourself here.
- Arizona’s Pinal County Sheriff, Paul Babeu, is now receiving death threats after speaking out about needing to increase border security. These include threats from the Mexican Mafia and drug cartels.
- Hot on the heels of the federal lawsuit being filed today, Fox News is out reporting on a study that found it costs the United States $113 Billion annually to harbor illegal immigrants in this country. The single largest cost in the total is $52 billion on educating the children of illegals.
- The law professor who helped draft SB-1070 said the federal lawsuit against SB-1070 is a move to drum up political support for the administration.
- Local reaction to the federal suit from a number of Arizona politicians can be read here. Needless to say, Republicans are not happy with the federal lawsuit, but Democrats are critical of it as well.
- 34 illegal immigrants were caught trying to come in to the United States via the California coast.
- Arizona’s Governor Jan Brewer may be feeling the heat as protestors are planned to be bussed in to the National Governors Association meeting in Boston to show their opposition to SB-1070.
- The Gay and Lesbian Leadership Institute has moved its 2011 conference to Nevada from Arizona as a result of Arizona’s SB-1070.