Illegal Immigrant/Immigration News Roundup — July 14, 2010

Posted on July 14, 2010


[picapp align=”none” wrap=”false” link=”term=Border+Patrol&iid=9005858″ src=”http://view1.picapp.com/pictures.photo/image/9005858/border-agents-struggle/border-agents-struggle.jpg?size=500&imageId=9005858″ width=”380″ height=”262″ /]

A sampling of news stories and commentary related to illegal immigrants and illegal immigration:

  • CBS reported on a poll yesterday which asked respondents what they thought about Arizona’s new anti-illegal immigration law, SB-1070.  While the headline says a large majority (57%) support the law, it doesn’t include an additional 17% who think the law doesn’t go far enough.  In total, that’s 74% that think Arizona’s at least on the right track, and it must make the left a bit nervous about the Obama administration’s continuing to sue Arizona over that very law.  The appearance of picking on a state that is just trying to defend itself doesn’t play well with the American public.
  • Senators DeMint and Vitter introduced an amendment today which would prohibit the Obama administration (including the DoJ) from suing Arizona. 
  • Illegal Immigrants Hold DC Teach-In For Reform” at www.riehlworldview.com 
  • Here’s the thin gruel that passes for reason as why the federal government WILL NOT be suing sanctuary cities but still go after Arizona.  Since it’s okay passively not enforce the law, how about we passively refuse to pay our taxes?  Will the government leave me alone then?  I don’t think so.
  • The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) has joined the boycott Arizona bandwagon.
  • Radio talk show host and author, Mark Levin and his Landmark Legal Foundation have chipped in their support of SB-1070 by filing an amicus brief with the court. (h/t @Cubachi on twitter)
  • A legal brief representing nine states was filed today in support of Arizona and its new law.
  • Local news has a video with a short profile of the federal judge who’ll be hearing the SB-1070 cases.  I can’t embed the video, but you can watch it here.
Advertisements