[picapp align=”none” wrap=”false” link=”term=Border+Patrol&iid=9005858″ src=”http://view1.picapp.com/pictures.photo/image/9005858/border-agents-struggle/border-agents-struggle.jpg?size=500&imageId=9005858″ width=”380″ height=”262″ /]
A sampling of news stories and commentary related to illegal immigrants and illegal immigration:
- Preliminary results in Utah’s investigation into the leaking of private information of an illegal immigrant list” has landed two state employees on administrative leave. The investigation is continuing. Leaking/stealing such private information can result in jail time and fines for those convicted.
- Today in Virginia, a Mexican national received a 2 year prison sentence for smuggling illegal immigrants. He’ll be deported after serving out his term.
- Arizona’s swimming in cash upon the announcement by the Secretary of the Department Homeland Security, Janet Napolitano, that the state will receive $13.8 million (yes that’s an m for million) in grants this fiscal year to help secure the border. Just imagine what the state can get for that big chunk o’change! Other border states also received grants. No mention on whether the state will be reimbursed the hundreds of millions of dollars in past due bills for the care and incarceration costs of illegals in the state.
- Heat related deaths of illegal immigrants are up this month. Since July 1, 38 bodies have been brought in to the Pinal County medical center.
- The first round of lawyers’ bill total $77,000 for initial work done defending Arizona’s new anti-illegal immigration law, SB-1070. The governor’s defense fund has raised over $1.2 million from contributions of over 25,000 people.
- Federal prosecutions of illegal immigrants are up to new highs as the Obama administration has continued an enforcement plan begun under George W. Bush.