While I’ve never been a big fan of the ACLU, this just adds to my disgust with their organization.
From The Washington Times:
The father of Anwar al-Awlaki, the U.S.-Yemeni citizen who has been dubbed as al Qaeda‘s top English-language Internet recruiter, will sue the Obama administration in an effort to stop U.S. drones from trying to kill his son.
The American Civil Liberties Union and the Center for Constitutional Rights announced on Tuesday that they are representing Nasser Awlaki in his efforts to remove his son from a list of people that may be killed or captured by the CIA or U.S. military.
Jameel Jaffer, a litigator and director of the ACLU‘s National Security Project, traveled with a colleague to Yemen earlier this year to meet with Nasser Awlaki and other Yemeni human rights groups, the attorney said in a conference call on Tuesday.
The U.S. Treasury Department had said that providing legal counsel on behalf of Anwar Awlaki required a special exemption from the Office of Foreign Asset Control because he is a designated foreign terrorist.
Anwar al-Awlaki is not just some American who has been caught up in radical Islam (I can easily recognize the threat, Attorney General Holder). But instead, has been linked to the shooter in the Fort Hood killings, the attempted Christmas day bomber last year, and seems to have inspired the attempted car bomber of Times Square back in May.
In the first case, al-Awlaki was contacted by Maj. Nidal Hasan and asked about killing American military personnel. The two reportedly exchanged as many as 18 emails before Hasan carried out the shootings. In the second case, Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, the “diaper bomber,” claims al-Awlaki directed him to carry out his mission.
More information can be found at Forbes.