I kid you not.
From BBC News:
Birds that were thought to have died from avian flu in Romania instead apparently drank themselves to death.
Residents of Constanta in eastern Romania found dozens of dead starlings on the outskirts of the city on Saturday.
They alerted authorities, fearing the birds had died from avian flu.
But local veterinary officials decided the starlings had died after eating grape ‘marc’ – the leftovers from the wine-making process.
The head of the local sanitary and veterinary authority, Dvsva, told news agency Agerpres that analysis of the starlings’ gizzards showed they had died from alcohol poisoning.
Let that be a lesson: you CAN party too much.